Back to Military Life

Need help PCSing?

Put the Military’s Relocation Assistance Program to work for you

Master you next military move with the help of Military OneSource. Photo credit: Military OneSource

Email Article Print Article Share on Facebook Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon

No matter where you're headed, Military OneSource can help you master your next military move. If you and your family have received orders for a permanent change of station, or PCS, expert staff can provide information, education and referrals to help minimize stress and make your move a Power Move.

The military Relocation Assistance Program can help you prepare for your PCS and make connections at your new duty station. Relocation assistance service providers offer information, resources and one-on-one support for:

  • Moving costs
  • Household goods shipments
  • Housing options
  • Child care options, both on and off installation
  • Sponsorship and youth sponsorship
  • Schools
  • Spouse employment and license transfer
  • Newcomer orientations and pre-departure briefings
  • Loan closet
  • Cultural adaptation
  • Community resources and more

Most relocation assistance services are offered through your installation Military and Family Support Center, your primary point of contact for programs and services that help service members and families navigate the unique challenges of military life. Services include:

  • Relocation, deployment and transition assistance
  • Personal and family life readiness
  • Financial readiness
  • Employment readiness (including spouse employment) and more

Programs and services vary by installation, so contact your local Military and Family Support Center for more information about relocation assistance.

Services for special moving situations

  • Foreign-born spouses: Are you a newlywed or moving for the first time since tying the knot? The Relocation Assistance Program can help you and your spouse with classes and referrals about immigration and naturalization. Staff can also help you find English language programs, translation services and advice on how to get around the local area. Learn more about support for foreign-born spouses.
  • Special needs: If you have a child or family member enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program, you know it's important to find the right support at your new installation. Relocation assistance service providers can help you get the information you need - before you arrive.
  • Your final military move: Most service members leaving the military, either at retirement or at the end of active service, can get a final move at government expense. You may also be able to get other benefits, such as storage of household goods, travel allowances and Per Diem - but benefits can vary by service branch. Relocation assistance service providers can help you and your family make the most of your benefits. Learn more about how to make your final military move a success.
  • Emergency financial aid: A move can sometimes put you in a tight financial spot. Relocation assistance service providers can connect you with the Personal Financial Management Program on your installation.

Scheduling your move

For support with household goods shipments, information about weight allowances, entitlements, and the Defense Personal Property System, visit the Military OneSource PCS and Military Moves page. You can also contact your local transportation office.

Expert Assistance

Military OneSource experts are available 24/7/365 to help you find the information and resources you need to master your PCS and live your best MilLife. Call 800-432-9647, use OCONUS calling options, or schedule a live chat.

"The first person I spoke with (at Military OneSource) was exceptional. She not only connected me to counseling, but also assisted me with moving and exceptional family member resources." - Anonymous

comments powered by Disqus