Officials continue enlisted DOS rollback program

By AFNS on November 2, 2011

Air Force officials announced Oct. 28 plans to continue an enlisted date of separation rollback as part of its ongoing measures to manage the force and maintain a quality enlisted corps.

The DOS rollback will accelerate the date of separation for selected Airmen in the grades of senior master sergeant and below with fewer than 14 or more than 20 years of service as of March 31, 2012.

Under the DOS rollback, identified Airmen must separate no later than March 31, 2012 or retire no later than April 1, 2012, if they possess specific reporting identifiers, reenlistment eligibility, assignment availability and grade status reason codes. Commanders will notify Airmen meeting eligibility and in most instances determine which Airman will remain eligible or ineligible for this DOS rollback.

Airmen identified for the rollback and eligible for retirement must submit their retirement request via the Virtual Military Personnel Flight by Dec. 1, 2011.

Airmen with at least 180 days of active-duty service who are separated under the DOS Rollback are authorized transition assistance benefits. Those include 180 days of extended medical care for themselves and their families and an ID card allowing base commissary and exchange privileges for two years.

Those separated with more than six years, but less than 20 years total active service are eligible for one-half separation pay, but must sign an Individual Ready Reserve agreement to serve for a minimum three years following their military service obligation. Those declining to serve in the IRR will be ineligible for separation pay.

The Air Force will not recoup unearned portions of education assistance funds, special pay, unearned portions of bonuses or other monetary incentives under the DOS Rollback Program, officials said. Additionally, most Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits will not be impacted; however, the transferability of benefits to dependents may be affected. Airmen should consult their local education centers or the VA concerning transferability.

For information about this, and other personnel issues, visit the Air Force Personnel Services website at

(Courtesy of the Air Force Personnel, Service and Manpower Public Affairs)