Back to Health

Tricare reimburses for travel

File photo

Email Article Print Article Share on Facebook Share on Reddit Share on StumbleUpon

Have you recently received medical treatment at a facility more than 100 miles from your provider's location?

If you answered yes, then you may be entitled to reimbursement by TRICARE. Since 2001, under the provisions of the National Defense Authorization Act, TRICARE Prime beneficiaries referred by their primary care manager for services at a location more than 100 miles from their PCM may be eligible to have their "reasonable travel expenses" reimbursed by TRICARE, according to the TRICARE Web site.

Elizabeth Perrine, director of Triwest corporate communications, stated that there are two ways a TRICARE Prime beneficiary can get reimbursed.

"A prime beneficiary that lives more than 100 miles from a base or has to travel more than 100 miles for a referral" is eligible, she stated. She added that even if the beneficiary lives near a base but needs a referral that takes him or her more than 100 miles away, then he or she is eligible.

The entitlement is available to non-active duty TRICARE Prime enrollees and Prime remote family members when they are medically referred to specialty care more than 100 miles from the PCM location. However, a valid referral and travel orders must be obtained through a TRICARE representative, at the military treatment facility, or the TRICARE Regional Office - if the doctor is a network provider.

Beneficiaries can be reimbursed for such things as meals, gas, tolls, parking and tickets for public transportation (airplane, train or bus). However, beneficiaries are expected to use the least costly mode of travel. TRICARE requests that receipts be submitted for expenses above $75.

So how does someone go about getting reimbursed? TRICARE suggests that once the travel arrangements have been completed, the beneficiary submit an SF 1164 or a DD1351-2 (travel voucher). The MTF or Tricare Regional Office Point of Contact will provide the beneficiary with specific instructions on how and where to submit his or her travel entitlement claim.

Additionally, when you are traveling with a non-active duty TRICARE Prime enrolled patient, TRICARE requires that one parent, guardian or other adult family member travel as a non-medical attendant.

Read next close


Federal preference points

comments powered by Disqus