Tacoma's landmark brew pub Engine House No. 9 (or E9 for short) is celebrating big this year. E9 hits the big 4-0 this month and it is having a party (more on that later).
It has come a long way from being North Tacoma's only fire station in 1908 that closed in 1965. The building suffered through fire damage and neglect until it was purchased and restored in the 1970s. It was then that a restaurant, brewery and great beer joint were born. Today's owners continue to lovingly preserve the historic building details while invigorating the building with some innovative modern touches.
Then, of course, there's the food. And it's good.
X Group (E9 owners since 2011) executive chef Joel Mertens is excited about E9's menu. Fresh takes on American fare, high quality breads and meats (Baker Boys and Boar's Head, respectively), give diners a terrific experience. From bar snacks and sandwiches to pizza and burgers, the food is hearty at a great price.
"E9 is a great American brew pub!" exclaims Chef Mertens. "We buy local ingredients that puts a fresh spin on our menu."
For Tacoma Restaurant Week, E9 has joined the celebration. The event is set for Oct. 14-18 and 21-25, and offers diners a $25 three-course dinner menu and optional $15 three-course lunch, Sunday through Thursday at participating area restaurants.
Oh yeah ... and about that 40th anniversary party! Great food and brew prices, music and memories mark the celebration, which runs Sept. 27-30. Visit E9's Facebook page (www.facebook.com/enginehouseno9) for all the exciting details and how you can take part.
Here is the dinner menu E9 is rolling out for Tacoma Restaurant Week.
First Course Choices
- Texas Straws: Julienned jalapeno peppers and onions, battered and fried golden brown.
- Chipotle Spinach Dip: Feta cheese, spinach, cream cheese, chipotle pepper. With pita, carrots and celery.
- House Side Salad: Salad mix, cucumbers, tomatoes, croutons, choice of dressing.
Second Course Choices
- E9 Burger: Fresh hand-formed ground beef patty, choice of cheese, iceburg lettuce, tomato and onion, E9 sauce, grilled Baker Brother's bun.
- Fire Axe Chop Salad: Iceberg romaine mix, shredded mozzarella, salami, diced chicken, tomatoes, parmesan, red onions, olives, scallions, garbanzo beans, pepperoncini, Italian dressing.
- Famous E9 Northwest Taco: Veggie, beef or chicken in a giant tortilla. Baked with onions, cheddar-jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and E9 sauce. Topped with salsa and sour cream.
Third Course Choice
- Blondie Sundae: House-made macadamia nut blondie, banilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and toasted coconut.
- Julia's Carrot Cake: House-made carrot cake, cream cheese frosting.
- Giant Cookie: Giant house-made chocolate chip or chocolate macadamia nut cookie.
Engine House No.9 is located on 611 N. Pine St. in Tacoma. Please see the business website for hours and days of operation. http://ehouse9.com
For information on Tacoma Restaurant Week click here.
A virtual menu guide of participating restaurants can be found here.