WEDNESDAY, MAY 22 2013 >>>
1. As the Defense Department shifts its military power and presence from a shrinking Middle East war zone to the vast Asia-Pacific region, it also is rebalancing its focus within the increasingly important region. From 4-6 p.m., the University of Washington Tacoma will host a symposium focusing on the United States' strategic rebalance toward Asia-Pacific. While it will be a moderated discussion with scheduled speakers, there will be time for open questions from the audience as well. Attendees will get to here commentary from Maj. Gen. Jeffrey S. Buchanan, deputy commanding general, I Corps, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, and Daniel Malarkey, deputy director, Washington State Department of Commerce, as well as high-ranking faculty from the UW. The event is free, but registration is required; click here to sign up.
2. For this month only, Stanley and Seafort's (115 E. 34th St., Tacoma) is offering a delectable deal. With any steak on the menu they will add a complimentary side of coconut prawns or a petite lobster tail with the simple mention of this offer.
3. Concoctors of all things hoppy, malty and brewtastic at Tacoma's own Harmon Brewery are taking over the ballgame. Cheney Stadium (2502 S. Tyler St., Tacoma) is hosting Harmon Brewery Night during the Rainiers' game May 22 beginning at 7 p.m. In exchange for a $7 reserve ticket you'll receive a $5 voucher for a pint of tasty Harmon beer. Sip on a Point Defiance, Mt Takhoma Blonde or a Black Tartan IPA. Anyone who has been to a fair share of baseball games knows a $5 ballpark brew is a steal. Get some.
4. Songwriter Mary Win will perform haunting original folk songs from 7-9 p.m. at Rhapsody In Bloom Florist & Cafe Latte.
5. Pub trivia nights can either ignite the party or stifle the mood. McNamara's Pub & Eatery in DuPont does everything possible to avoid being a major buzz kill. Every Wednesday McNamara's Pub starts team trivia at 7 p.m. Irish-inspired food helps trivia players stock up on brainpower before the trivia starts. Beer and drink specials happen at trivia intermission. Because everyone knows a good buzz makes trivia that much easier. What's the capital of Kazakhstan? Take a drink and think.