MONDAY, FEB. 4 2013 >>>
1. For years, the Greta Jane Quartet played every Monday at the Royal Lounge. The quartet is back at The Royal tonight at 8 p.m. "Quartet of what?" you ask, as yet unhip to Ms. Greta Jane Pederson's jazz combo featuring Cary Black, Vince Brown, and Andrew Dorsett. In your world, jazz is the Pandora station your boss makes you listen to at work. Well, prepare to get schooled! In the Quartet's nimble hands, jazz was powerfully sexy, just the thing to settle a body down after another manic Monday. Imagine a snifter of Maker's Mark and pretty ladies in cocktail gloves. That's right, cocktail gloves! It'sour fantasy, damnit! Anywho, happy days are here again - at least for tonight.
2. The latest show at the University of Puget Sound's Kittredge Gallery is a fascinating installation that may prove difficult to describe. It is called "Kukai," and it is a collaborative project between digital media artist Robert Campbell and ceramic sculptor Yuki Nakamura, who previously worked together for an installation called "Floating Plaster/City Motion," a multimedia installation comprising video, audio, and cast sculptures for the New Works Laboratory, a program between 911 Media Arts Center and the Henry Art Gallery at University of Washington in Seattle. The current installation is all about light and sound - mostly light. Check it out between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Read Alec Clayton's full review of "Kukai" in the Weekly Volcano Arts section.
3. If you've noticed we're pushing local breweries lately, you've caught us. We can't stay away from local beer. Plus, there's something about a local brewery that screams perfect date night. A couple pints of lager, a couple side salads, a doggy bag for the happy couple. ... Powerhouse Restaurant and Brewery in Puyallup offers a pasta and pint combination every Monday that's easy on the wallet. Buy pasta off the menu and get any one of Powerhouse's seven beers free of charge.
4. Wouldn't you love to know if your spouse was cheating? Or find out what Fido has been doing in Heaven all these years? Thank Goddess for psychics, and thank your lucky stars for the Psychic Buffet, 5-9 p.m. every first Monday at the Urban Onion Restaurant in downtown Olympia. See your future a little more clearly thanks to area clairvoyants and mediums, Tarot card readers and energy healers.
5. Jho Blenis and Shelly Ely will fill The Swiss with blues beginning at 8 p.m.