TUESDAY, JAN. 1 2013 >>>
1. Here at the Weekly Volcano we take our showers warm. We're kind of wimps. But there are plenty of tough, adventurous, rosy-cheeked folks out there who live on the edge, no doubt partaking in activities like today's Polar Bear plunges at Long Lake in Lacey (noon) and Point Defiance boat launch in Tacoma (11:30 a.m.). According to hype, the New Year's Day cold-water fiasco presents a chance to get 2013 off on the right foot.
2. If you have yet to check out the ice skating adventures in currently being offered in Tollefson Plaza, today might just be your chance to do so. With its stay recently extended through Jan. 6, The Franciscan Polar Plaza, located on the corner of Pacific Avenue and South 17th Street, is a covered outdoor rink is about half the size of a hockey rink. It will have real ice and hold about 150 skaters at a time. And it's pretty awesome.
3. Nursing a hangover? Find your way to The Grand Cinema in Tacoma for a great movie in a dark room. Anna Karenina, Hitchcock, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook and The Big Picture are currently playing. In Olympia, the place to hit is the Capitol Theater, where Side By Side and The Perks of Being A Wallflower are playing.
4. There's a ton of football on today. New Year's Day is synomous the pigskin. Browse the Weekly Volcano's bar listings and find the perfect place to watch whatever game interests you.
5. So far, it's a pretty nice day. And since one of your New Year's resolutions undoubtedly involves being healthier (read: less fat), try an enjoyable walk through one of Tacoma's parks or along the Ruston Way waterfront. In Oly, a jaunt around Capitol Lake is always a good time. Or, if you're looking for more than just a walk, in Tacoma get in on at the Metro Parks New Year's Day Dance inside the new STAR Center.