December 31, 2012 at 5:29am
MONDAY, DEC. 31 2012 >>>
1. A legitimate excuse for frivolous hedonism comes but once a year, so we say make the most of it. Don a silly hat (everyone else will look stupid, too), pop a magnum of champagne and blow your horn: 2012 is finally done. Check out the Weekly Volcano's New Year's Eve Command Center for South Sound parties and events.
2. The Children's Museum of Tacoma will host a parade through its awesome space at noon. Expect noisemakers, "sparklers" and more. Aaaah.
3. ZooLights at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium is as much of a holiday tradition as the choking down an eggnog latte that contains never real egg or real nog. A stroll through the magnificent light display sounds really soothing tonight, instead of, you know, drinking and falling down. The lights flip on at 5 p.m.
4. The Middle Floor Merchants inside Sanford & Son Antiques will host a New Year's Eve Prefunk offering snacks and a special "Happy New Year" gift bag to the first 50 shoppers that spend $25 or more in its shops. It kicks off at 6 p.m.
5. First Night is a coordinated international phenomenon with hundreds of cities worldwide manifesting (relatively) drunk-free celebrations that allow people not interested in being totally smashed to come out of their homes to celebrate New Year’s. In Tacoma, past celebrations have included giant puppets, parades, pirates, racing pigs, rolling heads, music, performers, fireworks, medieval sword fights and more. First Night is back with a Mayan calendar theme this year, as well as a scavneger hunt, giant snake, fire and tons of music. Venues for this year’s offerings are all about Broadway — the Rialto Theater, Theater on the Square, the Pantages and indoor and outdoor spots from Seventh to 13 streets. Click here for the First Night Tacoma full schedule.
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...
John, thanks for the feedback. We don't have a website up yet and we're actually looking for...
The 7th Cavalry was entrapped the day after the Wounded Knee Massacre. The 9th Cavalry...