November 2, 2012 at 6:09am
FRIDAY, NOV. 2, 2012 >>>
1. Hip-hop/funk group Nappy Roots brings its Kentucky-fried soul and funk to Jazzbones behind the new mixtape, Sh!t's Beautiful. "We wanted to make a project that's able to promote our upcoming releases, as well as introduce the world to the individuals who make up the collective known as Nappy Roots," member Skinny Deville told AllHipHop.com. "We try to make the best music possible and hit as many cities as we can, and without the fans' support, none of that would be possible." With DJ Victor Menegaux, 8 p.m., $10-$15, Jazzbones, 2803 Sixth Ave., Tacoma, 253.396.9169
2. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, Kareem Kandi got an early start playing the saxophone, picking it up at age 11 while attending Washington Hoyt Elementary. Today, Kandi divides his time teaching jazz improvisation as an artist in residence at The Tacoma School of the Arts, directing the award winning student jazz ensemble at Pierce College, conducting master classes and workshops at schools around the Puget Sound area and maintaining a full load of private students. Oh, he also plays a mean sax in joints around the South Sound, such as tonight at Uncle Thurm's. Joining Kandi will David Deacon-Joyner on piano, Clipper Anderson on bass and Mark Ivester on drums. 7 p.m., no cover, Uncle Thurm's Finger Licken Ribs & Chicken, 3709 S. G St., Tacoma, 253.475.1881
3. A winter storm of ski and snowboard video premiere parties will pummel the South Sound over the next two months, as local theaters roll out the white carpet for local/national/international filmmakers. Tonight, Northwest Snowboards hosts a Winter Video Premiere at the Capitol Theater in Olympia. Expect locally made skate and snowboard videos along with nationally acclaimed snowboard videos, plus killer raffle prizes like snowboards, skateboards, gear and more. 7 p.m., $7-$8, bar for 21+, Capitol Theater, 206 Fifth Ave., Olympia, 360.754.6670
4. "Nightmare scenarios of the End may turn out to be a dramatic device intended to awaken people to deeper levels of awareness as life reaches not a final end, but a vital edge of revelation rippling with new discoveries and surprising insights." Nice. Author and mythologist Michael Meade wrote those words in his book, Why the World Doesn't End: Tales of Renewal in Times of Loss. Discover what other tidbits Meade might drop on the world tonight at the Epworth-Lesourd Methodist Church. Proceeds support at-risk youth and multicultural projects. 7 p.m., free, $12, 710 S. Anderson St., Tacoma.
5. Tacoma Opera will open season with Mozart's comedy Cosi fan tutte tonight at the Rialto Theater. This production will mark Tacoma Opera's new general director's first full season as head of the company and will also mark his Tacoma Opera debut as stage director of Cosi fan tutte. The Tacoma Symphony Orchestra provides the soundtrack. 8 p.m., $25-$66, Rialto Theater, 310 S. Ninth, Tacoma, 253.591.5894
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, USO, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Looks delicious! Thank you Jackie for share ^^
Banff National Park is a breath of fresh air. A small mountain town with world class facilities...
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...