FRIDAY, OCT. 26, 2012 >>>
1. Just when you thought the hip-hop scene in Olympia was on another hiatus, members of the local scene are coming together to make a strong come back. Tonight, local underground and alternative hip-hop artists will be putting on an all-ages show at Northern for a fun and positive night of hip-hop culture. Olympia locals Blae Lue and the Hopped Up Metaforesters, along with Tacoma rapper Crazy Monk will be teaming up with beat makers SMEAR and Rey Holliday ( of Portland, OR) to represent the MCing and DJing of the hip hop world. Live painting will be provided by the Dirty Hands artist collective and the Old Growth Poetry Collective will be presenting a bone chilling set of powerful slam poetry. And who knows, there may even be a breakdancing crew in the crowd as well. 8 p.m., $3-$6, Northern, 414 1/2 Legion Way.
2. Cathy Pfeil will lead a ghost tour through downtown Olympia and all donations will benefit SideWalk, a homeless advocacy center. Meet at Kitzel's Delicatessen (Capital Way between 5th and Legion) for dinner if you choose, and than at 7-ish the tour will depart. Dress for an outside walk about. Bring some friends! Perhaps the tour will visit some of these Olympia haunts. Register online for the tour at Olympia Metaphysical Meetup: www.meetup.com/OLY-Metaphysical/events/79946662 or call Cathy @ 360.459.5026. 6 - 9 p.m., donation, downtown Oly.
3. Get spooky and all dressed to kill at the New Frontier's Rock-n-Roll Halloween/Costume Bash featuring the debut of Tacoma's own KISS tribute, Dr. Love! Also titillating you all will be a band near and dear to us all, the Dignitaries, playing some of the best damn rock to come out of the pipe in a long time. Closing things out is the much awaited return of Tacoma super group and self-proclaimed "greatest band till ever" Splendid Vengeance! This is a night not to be missed as blood-spitting antics will no doubt ensue. And remember to DRESS UP! Also, very important, please remember to bring a new children's coat for donation, if possible. They will be collecting coats at the venue for donation to local foster children. 8 p.m. $5, 301 E. 25th St., Tacoma. 253.572.4020.
4. Scott Taylor, a tried and true acoustic musician will make ears and hearts happy tonight. Along with Judson Claiborne and Ryan Jochim and the Heavy Hearts, the vibe will be chill and enjoyable with Italian eats and beer to drink at Al Forno. 7 p.m., free, 404 4th Ave, Olympia 360.292.1095.
5. Celebrate the Tacoma Playing Cards! The playing cards will be there and hope you will too. See and purchase the original artwork. Pick up your own deck of cards. Claim your Kickstarter rewards. Meet and greet with the artists. Give-aways, snacks and no-host beer and wine. 14 Tacoma Artists + 54 Tacoma Icons = 1 Amazing Deck of Cards. 7 - 9 p.m., free, Amocat Cafe, 625 St. Helens Ave., Tacoma, 253.722.5373.