THURSDAY, OCT. 25, 2012 >>>
1. SAGE Olympia is proud to present a wonderful, dynamic documentary that discusses the struggles of a two-spirit young person in Native American culture. Join in this free program which will include light refreshments, movie viewing and engaging and thoughtful discussion afterward. Let’s start the conversation. Let’s start it now. Directed and co-written by Lydia Nibley, Two Spirits interweaves the true, tragic story of a mother’s loss of her son with a revealing look at a time when the world wasn’t simply divided into male and female and many Native American cultures held places of honor for people of integrated genders. 7-9 p.m., free, Olympia Center, 222 Columbia St. NW Olympia, 360.753.8380.
2. Learn about the history and culture of Día de los Muertos as celebrated in Oaxaca, Mexico. Take home you own personalized skeleton figurine, or calaca, honoring a beloved family member or pet. Each special workshop costs $45 ($35 for members) and includes all supplies, hors d’oeuvres and beverage pairing(s). 5:30-7:30 p.m., Tacoma Art Museum, 1701 Pacific Ave., 253.272.4258.
3. Local designers, both professional and novice, create more than 30 table settings throughout the Wagner House and compete for top honors in four categories: formal, contemporary, holiday, and whimsical. The Beautiful Tables showcase honors Eulalie Wagner, the former owner and visionary behind Lakewold Gardens, who is duly noted as a consummate gardener and hostess. Her elegant soirees are legendary and this event evokes her gracious spirit while offering the visitor ideas to continue the tradition of entertaining at home. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., free with membership or admission, $7-$9, Lakewold Gardens, 12317 Gravelly Lake Dr. S.W., Lakewood, 253.584.4106.
4. Looks like the weather may hold - get out and enjoy the last day of the Tacoma Farmers Market. Open-air market featuring fresh, seasonal produce, seafood, meats, wine (nice!), nursery stocks, prepared foods, concessions, artisans, live entertainment and more. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., 950 Broadway, Tacoma, 253.272.7077.
5. Local bluegrass at its finest, the Oly Mountain Boys will play the Spar in Olympia. Drinks, food, and music. Sounds like a good Thursday to us. 114 Fourth Ave. E., Olympia, 360.357.6444.