1. Hailing from Anacortes, Washington, Karl Blau, the singer, recordist, composer, musician, and lyricist is up to his ears in ideas. Born to a musical family, nurturing his creative spirit in an off-the-beaten-path small town - Blau makes art of boundless influence from all continents. Karl Blau looks to his reel to reel 4-track for the limitations and carves his sound into bounced tracks. Slashed Tires is a musical endeavor/alias/ artist/band from Seattle and The Hive Dwellers are a power trio from Olympia. Find out more at www.krecs.com.8 p.m., Northern, 414 1/2 Legion, Olympia.
2. What is an effective outdoor advertising strategy at the neighborhood level and within the urban environment? How do we balance the needs of businesses to promote with the needs of citizens to limit outdoor advertising? What forms of advertising are most effective for local business owners? Will lower cost and more personalized forms of advertising, like social media, be the next wave? Why do we love the old neon on S. Tacoma Way and the ghost signs on Pacific Ave. but are less enamored of digital billboards? Can the speed of traffic, vehicular and pedestrian, limit the scale and density of outdoor advertising? After-event at Cork, 606 N. State Street (@ Sixth Ave.). www.brownpapertickets.com/event/264410 6:30 p.m., $7.50/adv, $10/door, Trinity Presbyterian Church Sanctuary, 1615 Sixth Avenue.
3. Writers of all ages and types are welcome to share their work in an encouraging atmosphere. 7 p.m., free, Barnes and Noble, 1530 Black Lake Boulevard Southwest
4. Star of “Whose Line Is It Anyway,” "Let's Make A Deal" and Emmy Award winning talk show host in an evening of comic relief. Wayne Brady should not be missed. 7:30 p.m. $38 - $82, Pantages Theater, 901 Broadway, Tacoma(253) 591-5894.
5. M.I.A. Roller Derby Girls will be haunting Rutledge Corn Maze as part of their Haunting-For-Dollars fundraising program for non-profit groups. The cost is $13, that gets you into the whole maze which has one haunted maze, and two that are not. Bring the whole family. 7 p.m. - 10 p.m., 302 93rd Ave SE, Tumwater.