September 18, 2012 at 4:30am
1. Join Keanu Reeves on a tour of the past and the future of filmmaking in SIDE BY SIDE. Since the invention of cinema, the standard format for recording moving images has been film. Over the past two decades, a new form of digital filmmaking has emerged, creating a groundbreaking evolution in the medium. Reeves explores the development of cinema and the impact of digital filmmaking via in-depth interviews with Hollywood masters, such as James Cameron, David Fincher, David Lynch, Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, George Lucas, Steven Soderbergh, and many more. 2 pm; 6:30 pm. $5-$7 with membership, $6.50-$8.50 general, The Grand Cinema, 606 South Fawcett Avenue
2. Come meet the artists, Helen Hein and Anne Doumit Sparks and see their beautiful fiber arts creations. They have gone beyond traditional quilting to create works of art, carefully choosing colors, textures and patterns and stitching exquisite compositions. Refreshments will be served. 5-7 p.m., free, Proctor Art Gallery, 3811 N. 26th,(253) 759-4238.
3. In 1957, at age 14, Carlotta Walls LaNier was the youngest Little Rock Nine member to integrate Central High School. This act of courage and defiance became the catalyst for change in the American educational system. By ushering in a new order, she and her fellow warriors became ‘foot soldiers’ for freedom. 6:30 - 8 p.m., free, Evergreen’s Tacoma Campus, l1210 6th Avenue, Tacoma.
4. Come face-to-face with dozens of sharks as they explore their 240,000-gallon Outer Reef environment. Watch staff biologists feed the sharks or dive with them. 11 a.m., Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium, 5400 North Pearl St., Ruston, (253) 591-5337.
5. Cool Nutz is hittin up the Loch's tonight on his I am Portland Tour. He's promoting his new album, "Portland Ni%#a.” Bringing in heavy-hitters, "Portland Ni%#a” features guest appearances by Tech N9ne, Mistah Fab, Krizz Kaliko, The Grouch and Messy Marv, with production work by Bosko, Trox, Stewart Villain, Lawz Spoken and others. 8 p.m., The Loch's, 928 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, (253) 282-1833.
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...
John, thanks for the feedback. We don't have a website up yet and we're actually looking for...
The 7th Cavalry was entrapped the day after the Wounded Knee Massacre. The 9th Cavalry...