1. In case your idea of fun is hanging out at Gary's Tire Factory and seeing the Captain USA Monster Truck, then today is your day. There will be drawings for prizes throughout the day. Bring the kids and enjoy hot dogs and lots of specials. 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., free, Gary's Tire Factory, 4325 Martin Way, Lacey, (360)456-4325.
2. Post Defiance, the online magazine of Tacoma culture, is hosting a Contributor's Forum! If you're interested in working with Post Defiance in some capacity, whether it be submitting an article, photography, art, or establishing a partnership, this is an opportunity to learn more about Post Defiance, discuss ideas, and ask questions. Written for Tacoma, about Tacoma, and by Tacomans, Post Defiance provides distinctive, high-quality, thoughtful content generated by talented local artists and writers. This publication is a cooperative effort, focused on partnerships with individuals, organizations and businesses who love, promote, and produce the culture, craft and community that distinguish Tacoma. 6:30 - 8 p.m., free, King's Books, 218 St. Helens Ave. (253) 272-8801
3. Perhaps you thought NW x SE was something akin to the famouse musical festival in Austin, Texas. But, no, it's only Wednesday - this is about tapestries. Don't miss this wonderful display of intricate small tapestries created by leading weavers from the Northwest and Southeast. Videos show step-by-step process for creating the weavings along with on-site demonstrations and hands-on activities. The exhibit is a collaboration between the groups Tapestry Weavers South and Tapestry Artists of Puget Sound. Harbor History Museum, 44121 Harborview Drive,Gig Harbor,(253) 858-6722
4. Come sketch from a live model! Easels will be provided but artists must bring their own materials. All skill levels are welcome. All skill levels are welcome. On the last session of each month there is an optional group critique that all artists are welcome to participate in. 6:30 - 9:30, Merlino Arts Center, 508 Sixth Avenue, Tacoma,(253) 579-6908.
5. Grab your granola bars and PABA-free water bottles, it's time to explore. Staff and volunteers will take visitors on a tour through the gardens discussing seasonal changes, new additions and future plans. Discovery walks are significantly different than docented tours with time for your very specific seasonal questions.2:30 - 3:45 p.m., $6-$9, 12 and under free, Lakewold Gardens, 12317 Gravelly Lake Dr. S.W.(253) 584-4106.