August 8, 2012 at 5:08am
1. At the Capitol Theater in Olympia, a music documentary that is as fresh as it is informing, will play for one night only. The Wrecking Crew tells the story of American pop culture in perhaps its finest era – the 60’s and 70’s. From the West Coast originals themselves - Beach Boys to the Monkees, The 5th Dimension to Sonny & Cher and Simon & Garfunkel, the music was phenomenal. But the studio masters behind the scenes, like Hal Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, Glen Campbell, Plas Johnson, and trailblazing bassist Carol Kaye, have had little recognition, nicknamed ‘The Wrecking Crew’ these talents helped shaped pop music as we know it. 6 p.m. Capitol Theater, $10, 206 5th Ave, Olympia, 360.754.6670
2. Charlie Daniels and the Charlie Daniels Band will take the stage at 8 p.m. tonight. Daniels is probably best known for his hit "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," which he won a Grammy for and was featured in Urban Cowboy. But he's also well known for being a member of the Grand Ole Opry since 2008, as well as for being a heck of a nice guy. There are currently $25 Golden Circle Tickets available for this show, which includes fair admission. The Grays Harbor County Fairgrounds is located in Elma. For more information, visit www.ghcfairgrounds.com.
3. For once, we ecourage you to stay home, but only to listen to a preview of the music that will be at this Saturday's Music and Art in Wright Park. Tune in to NWCZ radio tonight and listen to Cody Foster Army and Mos Generator do that magical thing they do. 8 p.m. www.nwczradio.com.
4. 6-weeks of intensive running specific cross training. The work-outs are accessible for ALL LEVELS of runner (from beginner to expert). Each session will intersperse running with challenging cross training intervals. These work-outs are designed to increase speed, prevent injury, and improve endurance. Olympia groups will be provided location schedules upon registration. Tacoma group meets at 6PM at Wright Park. Space limited to 35 participants in each session.
5. At 10:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. there is an opportunity to enter the "Land of the Rising Sun" with Mr. Brian then climb the Great Wall. Make Chiyogami, Japanese paper doll bookmarks. All ages. Registration required. Openings available. www.tacomapubliclibrary.org.
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, USO, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Looks delicious! Thank you Jackie for share ^^
Banff National Park is a breath of fresh air. A small mountain town with world class facilities...
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...