August 1, 2012 at 5:05am
Happy Hump Day!
1. Bring your family to cozy up in this inviting space and listen to a story or two. Books are chosen and read by ARC volunteers based on relevance to current exhibitions or artists on view, or just for fun. 11 a.m - 12:00 p.m. Tacoma Art Museum, 1701 Pacific Ave., 253.272.4258.
2. Tacoma Main Library, StoryLab Learn how to take a sound - any sound imaginable - and create custom beats using Logic Pro's EXS-24 digital sampler. Sampling technology lies at the core of rap, dub step, techno and today's pop music. The workshop will consist of teams of 3 - 4 students each, working together to select, edit and process sounds from sound effect libraries in order to build their own virtual drum kit. Lunch provided. Ages 13 to 20. Registration Required. Register online or call 253. 292.2001 ext. 1792, www.tacomapubliclibrary.org 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Free with registration.
3. Leave it to Northern in Olympia to throw a bangin party on a Wednesday night. This all-ages venue plans to get sweaty with Shannon and the Clams, Orca Team, Morgan and the Organ Donors and The Maxines. Touring from Oakland, Shannon and the Clams is all beach rock and pretty punk. The rest of the bands are just as awesome.
4. Join in a celebration of the third printing of the Collective Tarot, a collaborative publishing project of 25 contributors who reimagined the traditional 78 card tarot deck. The presentation also includes a panel discussion about the transformative power of art, magic, and community. Speakers include local mediators, artists, jewelers, camp counselors, and other magic makers. Olympia Timberland Library, 7:30 p.m., 313 8th Ave, Olympia.
5. FUSION (Friends United to Shelter the Indigent, Oppressed and Needy) annual art event to support their transitional housing program. Moulin Rouge*, capturing turn-of-the-century Paris, features an art walk, entertainment, live and silent auctions, and raffle for an ocean cruise. Catered appetizers, wine, beer, espresso beverages served.Tickets $60 online at www.fusionfederalway.org or by phone 253-839-5212. At the door $70. 3 - 9:00 p.m. Dumas Bay Center, 3200 Southwest Dash Point Road, Federal Way, 253.835.2000.
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, USO, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Looks delicious! Thank you Jackie for share ^^
Banff National Park is a breath of fresh air. A small mountain town with world class facilities...
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...