August 14, 2012 at 3:40am
1. Geeks who drink is fast becoming a trend for all the quirky, thirsty smarty pants out there. Rounds of trivia played by gamers with names like "Anal Fishers" and "Vangaurdian" are played every Tuesday at 8 p.m. at the Fish Tale Brewpub in Olympia. Newcomers welcome. 515 Jefferson Street SE, 360.943.3650.
2. Another fun thing to do while drinking! Barstool Bingo captures everything you love about the classic game, just minus the bluehairs and slow pace. Mama Glo calls the shots (and maybe drinks a couple, too.) Brace yourself for Tuesday night excitement. 7 p.m., Gloria's Bar and Grill 8201 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, 253.475.5877.
3. Tuesday Film Series presents Booker's Place: A Mississippi Story (90 min, NR). In 1965, documentary filmmaker Frank DeFelitta traveled to Mississippi to shoot a film on the subject of racism in the American South. As he went about observing life in Mississippi and interviewing the locals, Frank was introduced to an African-American waiter named Booker Wright. With utter candor and a brazen lack of concern for his own well-being, Booker appeared on tape in the documentary and spoke openly and honestly about the realities of living in a racist society. This brief interview forever changed the lives of Booker and his family, and more than 40 years later, Frank's son Raymond DeFelitta (director of City Island) returns to the site of his father's film to examine the repercussions of this fateful interview. 2 p.m. & 6:30 p.m. The Grand Cinema, 606 South Fawcett Avenue, Tacoma, 253.593.4474.
4. Calling all lovers of the night sky. Join in a session of fascinating astronomy activities. Use glow-in-the-dark paint to create your own star chart for tracking the constellations, make an astrolabe, design a sundial, and fashion your own compass.2 - 5 p.m., 172 Central Ave, Tenino, 360.264.2369.
5. This exhibit includes the Japanese flag captured at the battle of Okinawa and The Navigator's flight log of the Enola Gay at the time of its dropping the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Karpeles Manuscript Museum, 407 South G Street
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...
John, thanks for the feedback. We don't have a website up yet and we're actually looking for...
The 7th Cavalry was entrapped the day after the Wounded Knee Massacre. The 9th Cavalry...