August 2, 2012 at 5:16am
1. They say never talk politics at the bar. The Hub in Tacoma encourages it. With the strange political climate and the outcome of recent primaries, there is bound to be some interesting conversations. Drinking Liberally is an informal gathering of like-minded left-leaners and true hardcore lefties who want to trade ideas, get more involved, to rant, or just share each others company. 7 p.m. 203 Tacoma Avenue South, 253.683.4606
2. David Deacon-Joyner is Professor and Director of Jazz studies at Pacific Lutheran University. He has performed with jazz artists such as Bobby Shew, Marvin Stamm, Marc Johnson, Ed Soph, and others. Dr. Deacon-Joyner is a professional vocalist in both studio and live settings, and is a composer and arranger. He currently arranges big band charts for Jeff Coffin, saxophonist with Bela Flect and the Flecktones and the Jeff Coffin Mu'tet, published by UNC Press. Free coffee. Bring chairs or a blanket and snacks. 7 p.m. Mary Baker Russell Music Center Amphitheater, PLU Campus, 8th Avenue Court S & Wheeler Street S, Tacoma.
3. KryBoys, who picked up an award for best cover band for Weekly Voclano's "Best of Tacoma 2012," are getting their rock on at Jazzbones tonight. Kry is the #1 cover band in the Seattle/Tacoma area. They have the energy, the talent and ability to deliver all of your favorite songs the way music should be ... LIVE! It's like going to a big time rock show where you know every song. 9 p.m. 2803 6th Ave, Tacoma.
4. Nate Jackson, comedy extraordinaire, is at Varsity Grill tonight. Cracking up crowds of all sizes with his razor-sharp wit, engaging stage presence and his high-energy style, Jackson is loved by audiences of all ages. 8 p.m. 1114 Broadway, Tacoma.
5. Today is kids day and buddy day at Thurston County Fair. Kids 6-14 are admitted for $2 and 2-for-1 carnival buddy wrist bands are available. Kid's tractor pull, buzz-tastic bugs, and chocalate cake contest are just a few scheduled events.Thurston County Fair, 3054 Carpenter Road, Lacey, 360-786-5453.
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, USO, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Looks delicious! Thank you Jackie for share ^^
Banff National Park is a breath of fresh air. A small mountain town with world class facilities...
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...