November 5, 2011 at 6:14am
SATURDAY, NOV. 5, 2011 >>>
1. Project: U - a group of 20- and 30-somethings that parties in the name of United Way and community charities - will host the fancy-schmancy Get Involved Gala, a.k.a The GIG, from 8-11 p.m. tonight at the Tacoma Art Museum. With proceeds benefiting United Way of Pierce County's Community Solution Fund, party people will dress up, drink wine, nibble and win prizes while wearing their best cocktail attire. This is the inaugural GIG event, but Project: U has eyes on making it an annual premiere social/charity event. The Project: U asks attendees to wear cocktail dresses and at least slacks and ties for the gents. The Weekly Volcano is a proud sponsor. Be sure to say "hi" in the wine line.
2. MOMIX has dazzled Olympia before. And while the self-described dancer-illusionists of MOMIX may not catch many art and dance enthusiasts off guard tonight in this, the troupe's third trip to the Washington Center, there's no doubt MOMIX will entertain and awe everyone wise enough to be in attendance. As far as pushing the envelope of dance goes, this is about as good as it gets. But a more helpful description for those new to the magic of MOMIX may be in order, so for that let's turn to the Washington Center's website, which says MOMIX, "has been transporting audiences from their everyday lives to a rich fantasy world in over 22 countries for 30 years. Through a magical combination of movement, illusion, sound, color, and light, Artistic Director Moses Pendleton integrates athletic dance, riveting music, outrageous costumes, inventive props, and pure talent to create a wildly entertaining, transcendent evening that is like no other."
3. Hell's Kitchen and tattoos go together like Bert and Ernie, like Hansel and Gretel, like hipsters and questionable facial hair. So it's no surprise that the annual Hell's Kitchen Tattoo Extravaganza is back for its seventh year, going down tonight and promising music from the likes of C.F.A. and Neutralboy along with the requisite tattoo contests, cash prizes and bad-ass trophies for the inked-up winners. The event is sponsored by Tsunami Tattoo and Action Tattoo, with entries will be accepted between 5-9 p.m. Judging runs from 9-11 p.m. before the music carries the party home.
4. Rapper Mickey Avalon isn't the first musician to champion the motto, "Live fast, die young & look good in your grave" (as is printed proudly at the very top of Avalon's website). He's probably not even the most recent. But chances are Avalon is the only member of the esteemed, previously described crowd of self-destructive entertainers scheduled to play Jazzbones tonight. Reportedly a member of the Los Angeles-based graffiti crew CBS (Can't Be Stopped / City Bomb Squad), a one-time heroin addict and male prostitute, and a collaborator with former MTV VJ Simon Rex, it seems Avalon has experienced no shortage of excitement, drama, close calls and failures during his journey. These days he's experiencing a few of the positives life has to offer, most applicable to this space success within the world of music. A former member of rap group Dyslexic Speedreaders, and with a penchant for penning lyrics about the grittier side of life, Avalon's T-town gig should go off like gangbusters.
5. It's the tenth anniversary of Art at Work: Tacoma Arts Month, and as usual one of the highlights of this year's festivities promises to be the studio tours -- available for your enjoyment today and tomorrow. In all 57 artists are participating in this year's studio tours, with plenty of familiar faces and also some new, exciting ones. Even better, you can create your own self-guided route for the stuido tours - choosing who and what to see -- or you can let the Art Bus help, taking one of the two Art Bus led tours departing from the Tacoma Art Museum today. Find all the info you need right here.
LINK: Live music tonight
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, USO, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Looks delicious! Thank you Jackie for share ^^
Banff National Park is a breath of fresh air. A small mountain town with world class facilities...
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...