April 6, 2011 at 9:52am
OPENING DAY IS FULL OF POSSIBILITIES >>>
As the Tacoma Rainiers get set for their tomorrow's Opening Day against the Sacramento River Cats, we thought we'd bring you some more blog action.
We mentioned yesterday that the Rainier's Opening Day roster is set. We have since found the roster online. Is it just us or is staring at a baseball roster a little...daunting? All those strange names and numbers crowded on the page. It's not the easiest thing in the world to look at.
Some things do jump out:
* How awesome is the name pronunciation guide at the bottom of the page? They really break it down for you. Alex LID-ee. Dustin ACK-lee. Matt TOO-ee-ah-so-SO-po.
* As mentioned yesterday, Mike Carp is listed as an outfielder. His stat page on the Rainier's website lists him at first base. Since he's a big guy, maybe they wanted to give him more room to roam this year. Only speculating here.
* Dustin Ackley is listed first on both the numerical roster and the alphabetical roster. Seems fitting since he is the hottest prospect on the team.
* Alex Liddi hit 15 home runs in his time at West Tennessee last year. Not bad for an infielder. He is also from Italy, which automatically doubles his cool.
* When looking at the pitchers, Cesear Jimenez really stands out. If we're reading the roster right, Jimenez only gave up one earned run in fifteen innings pitched last year. That's not a huge sample size, but lets hope he can continue down this path. Indefinitely.
Rainier's announcer Mike Curto has announced this year's Rainier's broadcast schedule on his blog. It looks like all 144 games will be covered live on South Sound Sports 850 AM. You can also listen to the games via a live stream on www.tacomarainiers.com . As of right now, no games will be shown on television. We blame reality TV for monopolizing all the airtime.
Remember to tune into 850 AM tomorrow at 7:05 for the first pitch of the season. It will be Luke French vs. a TBD River Cats starter.
TBD? What is this, River Cats, Double-A ball? Get your act together.
And for those interested in attending tomorrow's game (it's only, like, a 12-hour drive to Sacramento), we should note it'll be $2 beer night at Nat Bailey Stadium in Sacramento. Every Thursday the stadium features $2 Millers and live music. They will also have opening day fireworks. Worth the drive?
Off duty rules.
5 Things To Do, All Ages, Arts, Benefits, Best of Olympia, Best of TAcoma, Bobble Tiki, Books, Chainsuck, Classical Music, Comedy, Comment The The Day, Community, Concerts, Condemn or Allow?, Contest, Day Tripper, DJ/Electronica, Events, Facebook, Fashion, Federal Way, Fife, Fircrest, Food & Drink, Future Things Are Coming, Games, Genius, Gig Harbor, Green Crush, Happy Hour Hug, Holidays, In Their Words, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Keeping Up With The Coffeehouses, Lacey, Lakewood, Media, Military, Milton, Music, Nerd Alert!, Night Moves, Not Cool, Olympia, Outdoor Addict, outdoors, Photo Hot Spot, Podcast, Pop Culture, Poster of the Day, Puyallup, Radio, Retail, Rocket Science, Ruston, Schools, Screens, Sex, Shout Out, Spanaway, Sports, Steilacoom, Summer Tip, Sumner, Tacoma, Theater, Tightwad, Travel, Twitter, University Place, USO, Video Hot Spot, Volunteer, Web/Tech, Word
Looks delicious! Thank you Jackie for share ^^
Banff National Park is a breath of fresh air. A small mountain town with world class facilities...
Too many cover-bands play at The Swiss.
Wohoo! Love this and great work! From one Assyrian to another I congratulate you and am rooting...